Saturday 8 March 2014

Master Kirrin.

If you weren't already aware, Master Kirrin, is infact a girl by the name of Georgina. Strong and courageous, she is an avid explorer and adventurer. She is brave and shows no fear for whatever is round the corner, always seeking out answers for mysteries that have unfolded. Everything and more that I could ever have dreamt of as a little girl, she is one of my idol's. Be it, a fictional idol. Most people may know her better as George or as one of Enid Blyton's Famous Five.
I wholeheartedly believe you are never too old or too young to read a Famous Five book and I still enjoy them today as much as I did when I was a wee lass. I'd firmly list Five Go To Smuggler's Top among my top 5 favourite books to take with me to a desert island. Doesn't everybody have lists like this or is it just me? Alongside, The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway), To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) & Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (JK Rowling), it would comfortably sit. The 5th choice is open for any future newcomers, unless that is, I get washed up ashore before I decide.

Having been bed ridden with flu for the past week, I was pained to discover my laptop had failed me, along with my body and thus, I turned to reading. Probably my favourite thing to do but ashamedly, in this modern age, technology often takes ahold of me and places me under a spell. Due to this mystical occult that I have no control over, I quite often suffer from a state of reader's block. However, I had been longing to get back between some pages for quite some time and was presented with the perfect opportunity. I can now say, I am quite highly addicted to my book already (The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton) and have immersed myself back into a world of all things literature. This led me to thinking about stories and on Thursday (World Book Day) I entered into a Penguin competition over on Twitter (that unexplained sorcery again) where I had to choose a book I wish was real. Obviously, I stated any of the Famous Five novels, quite predictably, which made me think about life if they did exist. Ignoring the fact that they would actually now be pent up in some elderly home somewhere, I like to assume they would still be small children. What would George dress like today, I pondered.





























...and pondering led on to researching and then moodboard building and VOILA! I was Dr Frankenstein in the making and my monster was coming to life. George, however, is far from a monster and just infact really really tomboyish. Therefore, I basically selected the entirety of APC, Margaret Howell & Steven Alan for her wardrobe. I can't imagine she would ever care too much for clothes in a materialistic sense but rather in the way of utility. Easy comfort for climbing trees and rocks, trusty shoes that would never fail you and bags with enough space and pockets to hide a torch, a rope and other necessities (including treats for Timmy) as well as any clues collected on the way.

This being said, when I get washed up on that lonely remote island, perhaps I will need a wardrobe of such sorts? My new mantra for life is 'WWGD?' but then again, what would the Swallows & Amazon's do? Robinson Crusoe or the Swiss Family Robinson? There are too many questions that evolve in my mind that perhaps, it could be said, I have already been swept away by a literary surf?

0 comments:

Post a Comment